Peer Review Process

The editorial and review process in the journal is organized as follows:

1) All submitted papers are sent to EiC. After a preliminary evaluation, those manuscripts that are among the interest fields and seems to have enough contribution to industrial engineering, are sent for checking originality.

2) The manuscripts, which pass the journal plagiarism checking process, are then assigned to a related handling editor. Different specialist follows this duty as associate editors. They are experts in their field and are in contact with numerous international referees.

3) Handling editors send the manuscripts to a minimum of two expert reviewers.

4) The reviewers asked to send their reports based on a standard format to the handling editor no longer than 30 working days;

5) If the reviewer's reports lead us a positive sense and the few required revisions, the manuscript is possible to accept by the handling editor and then editor–in–chief. As a rule, a few letters generally are sent to the author(s), reviewers and all responsible journal managers. Finally, the accepted revised version of the manuscript goes for online publishing.

6) If the manuscript needed any revision, the handling editor sends his/reviewers comments to the corresponding authors. They are normally asked to upload the revised version before two months.

7) All the revised manuscript is checked by the handling editor and is sent to the final reviewer if needed.

8) Final decision is made by the handling editor after the final review process. If needed additional reviewers will be asked for their assessment.

 

Some facts and figures:

The total number of annual submissions is over 200 manuscripts. Note that just less than 25% of them have a chance for publishing during a period of one year. Therefore, the rejection rate is about 75 percent on average. This shows that the editorial board is very sensitive to the quality of papers. The editorial policy is to select manuscripts with high contributions to modern industrial engineering techniques. As a  typical report, Table 1 and 2 presents some fact and figures about JIEI in 2014. All information derived from the Springer standard report generator on 18/May/2014, Local time: 20:00.

 

Table 1. Number of the received manuscript in 2014.

Field

# of Received Manuscripts

Operations Research and Decision-Making Models

62

Production Planning and Inventory Control

 

39

Supply Chain Management

28

Quality Engineering

27

Applications of Fuzzy Theory in Industrial Engineering

23

Applications of Stochastic Models in Industrial Engineering

26

Total

205

 

Table 2. Status reports (2014)

Withdrawn

0

Rejected manuscripts after review

37

Pending for reviewing process

17

Assigned Submissions to associate editors 

48

Under the review process

90

Submissions out for Revision (Possibly with be accepted after revision)

10

Accepted papers

3

Total

205

  

Language drawbacks

If the manuscript is written in poor English, the author is asked to improve it before the review process. In addition, all pre-accepted papers are edited before proofreading.

 

Importance of the journal and distinguishable aspects:

1) JIEI is aimed to present recent developments in different areas of industrial engineering. Novelty and degree of contribution are on the editorial board's focus. We eagerly tend to publish papers that extend industrial engineering boundaries both in pure and applied fields.

2) The journal specifically covers quantitative methods. Hence, the verification method is on focus. We avoid publishing qualitative papers.

3) The papers published on JIEI have the opportunity to be applied in different sectors (production/services). Mathematical/Statistical modeling, optimization method are two distinct points of the most accepted papers that could improve engineering methods in the real world.    

4) JIEI accepts submission all over the world. Referring to our background show we received manuscripts from different points in Asia, Africa, Europe and America. This makes it possible to exchange researchers' achievements internationally.

5) Editorial board of JIEI grouped from different countries. Most Iranian well-known industrial engineering experts help us with the reviewing process, but reviewers not limited to them. JIEI has gained the top level degree of the scientific journal from the Iranian higher education ministry.